Please enter your e-mail above and submit if you would like to receive an update whenever I post a new blog. Thanks for taking an interest in my ramblings!

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Best Sugar-Free & Gluten-Free Brownies You've Never Ate!

In case you didn't know my regular diet excludes both sugar and gluten. If I go off of this even once I immediately can tell the difference with how I feel; lathargic, toxic, forgetfull, unfocused, achy and even ill.


To understand what gluten is and how it affects your body and why, there are hundreds of websites that talk about it, but. here is a link to one. For a quick basic break-down of the highlights of this article I've quoted the major reasons why eating foods with gluten should be limited if not excluded from everyone's diet.


"Your “gut brain” thinks gluten is a foreign substance. It doesn’t know that it’s meant to be a source of nutrition. So, when gluten reaches your gut, it panics.

Your gut reacts by sending antibodies to attack the unknown substance. This causes your immune system to become hyper alert with auto-immune components. And it can cause your body to attack its own tissue."
If left untreated, gluten intolerance can cause:



  • Cancer
  • Reduced blood flow to the brain (cerebral hypo perfusion)
  • Vitamin D deficiency
  • Miscarriage
  • Low birth weight
  • E.D. (Erectile Dysfunction)
  • And thyroid disease
  • Common Symptoms of
    Gluten Intolerance
    • Abdominal pain
    • Bloating
    • Cramping
    • Weight Gain or Loss
    • Constipation
    • Diarrhea
    • Alternating Constipation and Diarrhea



The only issue I really have is that I LOVE CHOCOLATE and have not found a pre-made substitute in the store.


The problem I run into is that I HATE substitutes for sugar and flour!  I have fine-tuned taste buds and they do not tolerate anything that remotely alludes to not being  the real deal.


Pretty much all sugar-free desserts contain one of the following:


  • Splenda which is unhealthy 
  • Aspartime which affects neurotransmitters and can cause memory loss
  • Stevia which has an unpleasant aftertaste or 
  • Xylitol, whichis a fairly decent substitute and can prevent cavities as well, but I don't always care for the texture or taste.




So, I had to come up with my own recipe to get my Brownie fix. I have added it below. Hope you enjoy!


1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup Agave Nectar ( Tastes just like sugar!)
1 cup Raw Cacao Powder ( I use Navitas Mayan super food)
1 tsp. Salt ( I use Himalayan-- 84 minerals, including iron and calcium and tastes significantly better than table salt!)
1/2 cup Sweet Sorghum (gluten-free flour found in Whole Foods or Hy-vee in the Health food/ Organic section)
2 Tblsp. Xanthan gum (acts to bind like a gluten.)
1 egg yolk




  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Grease a 8x8 brownie pan and set aside.
  3. In a medium sauce pan add butter, Agave and Cacao. Whisk until completely melted and all Cacao is mixed in. Add egg yolk, it will thicken. Removed from heat and add salt, vanilla, sorghum and xanthan.
  4. Pour into greased baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
  5. Cool and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!