Please enter your e-mail above and submit if you would like to receive an update whenever I post a new blog. Thanks for taking an interest in my ramblings!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Killing a Cold in Summer!

I believe in the natural order of things. I take comfort in knowing that the leaves fall in September, that in October I’ll see goblins, witches and pirates on the streets trolling to satiate their sweet tooth’s, that I can expect snowflakes to drift into white fluffy piles in December and torrential rain storms and lightening flashes in April, and that colds and the flu only happen when Jack Frost comes around and rubs your nose the wrong way and that he NEVER visits in the summer time.

But this week my happy little haze of security in Mother Nature has been boiled into steam and then frozen into icicles and shattered. You may recall in my previous blog that I was trapped for 2 ½ months in 110-120 degree temperatures until this Saturday when I was rescued and, as a reward for not going ballistic, bathed myself in the equivalent of 55 degree bliss.

However, my self-indulgence has not gone unpunished—I now have a cold in AUGUST! Not just your regular “I don’t feel so well” cold, but the kind where you end up wishing you had an extra nose on top of your head so you didn’t have to hold it back just so you can breathe.  

I would just like to say how wrong colds are outside of their natural zone between November and March.

So, to combat this deleterious fiasco I am going to try a remedy that I’ve only ever needed to endure in the winter time. I say endure not because of the taste- it is actually delicious—the endurance is caused by the smell that you produce when you sweat. The main ingredients garlic and anchovies does not a pleasant aroma make in the blistering Summer heat. In winter this is not even a concern.  I guess I won’t take as much as usual, the smell won’t be a problem if you portion your intake-theoretically. Don’t let the anchovies turn you off from this recipe. You'll hardly even notice that they are there. Enjoy!


1 can Anchovies minced
1 cup Olive Oil
½ cup Unsalted Butter
1 Bulb (not to be mistaken for 1 clove) Garlic minced and crushed with juice
French or Italian bread
Variety of vegetables, baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, Zucchini

In a small sauce pan heat the Olive Oil, butter and anchovies over medium-high. Cook until the anchovies disappear into the oil. Remove pan from heat and pour into a heat safe bowl then add garlic and its juice. The anchovies break down and disintegrate and infuse with the oil and garlic. Serve with vegetables and bread for dipping. Soak as much as possible to get the most benefit out of the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!