Please enter your e-mail above and submit if you would like to receive an update whenever I post a new blog. Thanks for taking an interest in my ramblings!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunday Encounters! Ayotunde!


So , I had just dropped my neighbor back home after church when my mom texted me and said that she’d left her phone charger in my car and would I pleazzzzzzzzzzzz bring it to her. So, of course I will even though it is 20 minutes away.

On my way there, while at a stop light, I had a chance to view two people standing at the corner. They seemed to be waiting for something or someone. I noted them because how ethnic their dress was. Though it was in a modern fashion I was still inspired to think of Africa, Jamaica, Tahiti, Barbados and Egypt. ( Note, I’ve never actually been to any of these places., but I was reminded none-the-less.)

The lady, petite and demure, was donned entirely in white. From her white sandals, to her white shorts, her white blouse to the white sarong that was expertly wrapped just above the crown of her head and swung back around her hair until it hung cleanly off her neck and upward like an Egyptian princess headpiece. She was so brilliant in the August sun that she reminded me of a white lily. I thought of Caribbean breezes and exotic flowers.

The man was turned away from me, but his clothing reminded me of Jamaica. He had one muscled arm leaning against the light post and his black hair was dreaded neatly into braids. They both wore sunshades. I speculated who or what they were waiting for and then the light turned green and I headed off to rescue my mother from a week without an alarm clock or communication to the outside world.

After I left my mother, about 30 minutes later, I passed by the stop light and was surprised to see the couple still there. Only now they were studying, what I believed to be a map, and looking very lost.

Today’s heat index is at 101 with an 80% chance of rain. So, I was thinking about how miserable and potentially dangerous it was to be outside. I mean there had been deaths of 37 year olds, healthy 37 year olds with plenty of hydration in this heat!

Now my mother has ground into me not to pick up strangers, EVER, no matter how nice they look and if she had been with me her protective tigress would have denied what I was about to do.

But I had heard the call. A small voice in my head said,

“Lisa you need to ask these people if they need a ride.”
I said , “I know. Are you sure it’s a good idea?”
The voice, which happens to be my own, said, “Yes.”
“Okay,  you mean right now?” I asked.
“Absolutely, when else are you going to do it?”
“ Oh. Right. Good point. Okay.”

So, I turned around and drove back up a side street five blocks and stopped along side them.

Now, I’m sure the man was very certain that I would not want to take them all the way to the City Market, but I was not going to allow them to suffer in that heat a moment longer.

The City Market by the way, is a place where all types of vendors, mostly food and plants, gather on the weekends to sell their organic goods and at great prices. If  you’re in the Kansas City area and you’ve never been you must go sometime. It is on 200 Grand Street, KC, MO.

After a brief exchange they entered my car. She took the back seat. It seemed a protective gesture on his part and I believe he even opened and closed ht door for her once she was safely inside.

He sat up front and I noticed that he smelled of Patchouli and Sandalwood, which happens to have a very grounding and calming affect on me. My car still lingers with the Patchouli and I love it!

Well, I know how awkward it is to accept help from a stranger, so I did my best to prevent that stale oppressive silence that comes when you’ve just met someone and don’t know what to say-- and I learned quite a lot.


He left the corporate world 36 years ago to pursue his passion to teach  African dance, drums and singing. If you are intereseted in learning from him you can go Here to Ayotunde Productions.  Ayotunde means Joy has returned. I love that! I think we all could use a little more joy in our lives.


They have a daughter who is a professional singer and she is performing at the CAFÉ SEED the last Saturday in August, the 27th form 6-10. I may actually be able to go to that! Her name is TAHIRAH. If you are interested in going contactmailto:blkdancebajan@gmail.com or go Here.


I also learned how they had become stranded where I found them. They had missed the bus that they typically take on Saturday. As a consequence, they had walked to 2 or 3 other stops before coming to the one I had found them at.  Only they had just realized that the next bus they were waiting for did not run at all on Sunday and were just trying to figure out how they were going to get to he City Market without waiting who knows how long or where for the next public transportation. That’s when I came along.

I don’t know the reason that, out of a city full of people,  I was sent to help Danny and Ishatyue*, but I have a feeling that somehow we were brought together to help each other in ways that were the furthest from our minds on this hot Sunday afternoon in August.

* Ishatyue (pronounced: Ish- Ah- Tie-You) is such a beautiful name. I sure hope I didn’t butcher the spelling!

I am grateful for the many blessings that have been bestowed upon me and also for the people who come into my life. May you have many encounters and take the opportunity to help those around you.

I have a testimony that when we are struggling through difficulties if we only have faith that there is indeed a plan for each step we take  and reach out to help those around us, our hearts become comforted and we will have an inner peace that can only come when we are in the service of others.

Blessings will always come our way when, without judgment, we answer the prayer of another.

This brings me to a couple lessons that I have learned and would like to pass on to you.

You are the answer to someone’s prayers.
Listen and trust in the still small voice within you and remarkable things can and will happen.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Lisa, In response to your blog, I am moved to the fact that you have attribute this encounter to great significance in your life, of which has reach our lives. We are thankful for your innocent thoughts and actions on Sunday afternoon, it has also proven to me that in this life we our energies reach beyond our very existence and vibrates throughout the universe sending signals to those with similar vibes.

    I don't usually get into strangers vehicles, but on that day something about you shared motions of peace and love, so I was compelled to respond.

    With the Creator as my guide and protector I embrace your kindness......much blessings to you... Ase' (So be it)

    By the way her name is Esutayo pronounce
    Es -u-tah -yo :-) THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for setting me straight with her name!

    I am happy to have had the opportunity to meet you both and look forward to seeing you again.

    I too believe that we each resonate at varying levels and our senses are able to pick up on this subtle vibrational and energetic communication. Now, if I could only hone it to the level that my cats have achieved- they can tell right away how someone is feeling!

    I'm so glad that you trusted your intuition.
    You are most welcome. I would be happy to assist you and yours again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!